Friday, August 7, 2009

Homemade Mango Chutney


I have always wanted to try making mango chutney and I managed to pull out the lazy bones out of me and tada , a bottle of mouth watering mango chutney. I dedicate this to Zurin of Cherry On A Cake.

On July 27, she introduced a dish named Sri Lankan Salad Moju which uses fruit pickle , more specifically mango chutney. It’s hard to find mango chutney off the shelf over here, so I decided to make my own, I searched for homemade mango chutney and I knew that this one will turned out delicious! There are so many variations but I chose this one and I was not disappointed. Good things are for sharing :p This mango chutney can be eaten as a side condiment or use it to make salad as Zurin had done. It can be taken with roast chicken too…yay.. this mango chutney can be used in many ways! Just the thought of it....many dishes come to mind...so stay tuned :)))

cubed mangoes, diced onion, mustard seeds, golden raisins,
crystilised ginger , sugar, distilled vinegar, chilli flakes
are the ingredients used for making this mango chutney

after 1 hour of stirring and stirring the mango mixture,
inhaling this golden richness that so arouses my
salivary glands....mmmmm worth my time standing
over the stove stirring this golden richness !

the above amount was enough to fill up one glass jar
content of 500 gms

I could not resist taking a close up shot :p

you can slurps it off from your screen or try it out and
slurps the real thing...haha juz kidding :) ;)



Homemade Mango Chutney


Ingredients:

· 3/4 cups sugar
· ½ cup distilled white vinegar
· 3 cups mangoes (3 mangoes), peeled and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
· 1 medium onion, diced
· 1/4 cup golden raisins
· 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
· 1 garlic clove, minced
· 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, whole
· 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (hot)

Method:


Combine sugar and vinegar in a pot; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
Add remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, until syrupy and slightly thickened, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir occasionally during cooking.
Pour into clean jar and cool it before keeping it in the fridge .


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


20 comments:

  1. Now I am craving a masalam papadam with lots of mango chutney, thanks Elin^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so easy to prepare, cuz you need so many types of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would love to spread a large portion of those gorgeous mango chutney on my white bread!

    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystilised ginger.....any substitute for that? Or maybe some instructions on how to make crystalised ginger?

    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elin,
    Another fantastic recipe. I have made lots of jams, but never chutney. This is a little intimidating. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Kenny T : Haha you are welcome Kenny :)

    @ Little Inbox : Looks like a lot of work and ingredients involved but it is in fact the stirring that is hard...you are stuck to the stove for 3/4 to 1 hr :p but the end result, a bottle of yummiliciousness to last you 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angie,

    Mango Chutney is a so versatile condiment..it goes well with pita and tacos too.

    Substitutions: 1/8 tsp ground ginger = 1 tbsp crystallized ginger

    Crystallized Ginger Recipe
    http://www.foodbuzz.com/blogs/1311085-homemade-mango-chutney

    Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Miranda,

    No it is not intimidating at all..haha it is exactly like making jams except it gives you a differnt flavor. I know you will love it. Delicious to take it with roast chicken :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delicious chutney. It goes very well with chicken and some rice. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't eaten Mango Chutney before ... is the taste like acar? You made a beautiful jar, though. I am tempted to try this the next time mangoes are on sale ;P Thanks, Elin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This Mango Chutney looks great, I can't wait to buy some mangoes and try this recipe out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so much better than store-bought mango chutney. I particularly like the crystallized ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this sounds just wonderful. I have just recently started to enjoy sweet flavors with savory food. This would be perfect with so many dishes...

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did it!!! :DDDDD you are amazing. (actually I knew you would after you told me you would so I was just like waiting to see when you wld do it)...lolol ..

    N Now I have to make some too...you just gave me a job!..you little devil. :))

    n tq for linking me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. awwww Elin N tq for dedicating it to me too...u are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been looking for a good mango chutney recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Mathildescuisine : Hi Mithilde,thanks for the idea. Yup it shld go well with chicken and rice:)

    @ Little Teochew : Hi,it tastes like fruit acar aka acar buah. This is great in taste :)

    @ Janice Soriana : Hi Janice, hope you will like it :)

    @ Cookin'Canuck : Hi CC, yup my too, the ginger add flavor to the chutney..blends well with the mustard and mango.

    @Andrea@WellnessNotes : Hi,this is a wonderful side condiment to serve with roast chicken and rice or spread over pita bread..mmmm yum

    @ Zurin : Hi Zurin,
    you are welcome...haha I thought you will love this condiment. Haha you dun have to make them if you are not keen...just this old devil tempting and teasing you only :p

    @ Ellie : Hi Ellie, hope you will like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Elin
    May I ask if you use ripe or green mangoes?
    Thanks,
    Leen

    ReplyDelete
  19. i've never thot of putting chutney on toast.
    it's a very good idea, elin!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks delicious and sounds interesting! I would like to try this one out! There is something that I would like share which is a great recipe site, www.gourmandia.com and www.gourmetrecipe.com, you can also find a lot of delicious beef recipes at www.ibeefrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...