Friday, March 9, 2012

Japanese Sesame Dressing


















After having tasted sesame dressing in a Japanese restaurant in KL, and discovered that I actually like it. I googled for the recipe and since then have been making this dressing to go with my salad .  I have been eating like a goat the last one week :p only Wild Boar kept to his title...he eats like one anyway ! Meat for him and salad for me ! Dressings play an important role for salad and I have tried many types of dressing...some are healthy and some not so healthy.  This dressing is great for salad with avocado and salmon in it , but I added jellyfish and tofu to the salad instead :)  I bought this white sesame paste from Jusco, Ipoh  @RM14.90 for a 120g /bottle at the Japanese section.  They have the ready prepared  sesame dressing too but I prefer to make my own dressing with the paste. 

















You can have it  more creamy or less creamy , up to individual taste.  For me , I like it a bit more creamy so that it coats the tofu and jellyfish....love the taste of sesame paste...aromatic and healthy.  For a creamier texture add more mayo , and if you want a less creamy and healthier one, reduced the mayo and add a bit more of the vinegar. Toast some sesame seeds and while still hot , use a pestle, press the sesame seeds till the oil exudes out a bit for extra aroma.  Thumbs up for this sesame dressing !


















sesame scented dressing....I love it :)


















my salad consists of japanese cucumber , carrot,
celery and frisee lettuce , brown  tofu and  
jelly fish


















love the jellyfish in my salad :)


















see how the dressing coats the tofu ...yummy


















Japanese Sesame Dressing

Ingredients:-



2 Tbsp. white sesame seeds - toasted and pestle press 
3 Tbsp white sesame paste – Japanese brand
2 Tbsp. Japanese mayonnaise
2 -3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar - depends on one's taste
1/4 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. mirin
A pinch of salt * optional

Method:

Toast the white sesame seeds  in a frying pan till lightly brown and popping in the pan , removed from pan and while still hot, press with a pestle until oil exudes out.  Combine  all the ingredients together and whisk until well blended.   


*          *          *



10 comments:

  1. Oooooo... I think I'll love this.
    I used to see TopValue stuff in Midvalley only, You bought urs in Ipoh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy...yup I bought it from Jusco ( Japanese section ) Quite pricey though. The paste is RM14.90 for a small bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Elin, this just looks absolutely delicious. i am very much crazy about sesame seeds !
    On a different topic, recipe satay Malaysia ada tak? thx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's Go....I do not have but my friend , Gertrude of My Kitchen Snippets has the recipe on her blog- Malaysian Satay With Crunchy Peanuts Sauce.
    Here it is

    http://www.mykitchensnippets.com/2008/07/chicken-satay-with-crunchy-peanut-sauce.html

    Hope this is what you are looking for :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this dressing on tofu cubes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yo Elin, love the sesame paste. I have the black sesame paste from the direct selling stockies but not this. Must be so tasty. Thanks for sharing another wonderful product.
    have a great weekend. dear.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks elin, will keep an eye for this for japanese dressing the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummychunklet....yea it is delicious on the tofu..great dressing for the tofu :)


    Kristy...not sure about the black sesame paste :) You too have a nice day :)


    Lena...you can get this from Jusco , japanese section :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow!! thanks for sharing!!! I think wat i ate in japanese restaurant b4 is this type of sauce. I like it so much!! I wil go n buy 1 soon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...